technology

Δευτέρα 6 Μαΐου 2013

Stuffed Zucchini flowers - Grandma's Greek Vegetarian finger food


zucchini blossoms logo
This is a SO Greek grandma's traditional recipe and now that we all want to put a hippy etiquette on everything, I could easily turn it to " Greek Vegetarian finger food", so hence grandma's Greek Vegetarian finger food!
I am posting this recipe because a good
friend from Oklahoma,USA asked me , after sharing the photo of this dish on my wall on Facebook. I didn't expect this recipe to be so liked, I just uploaded a picture of the pot before placing to fire, so unfortunately, I don't have other photos of this dish. I did some research on photos but I couldn't find something that would present this dish as good as it is.
It's a very easy to make recipe, where all you need is fresh zucchini flowers, rice, herbs, onions extra virgin olive oil, lemon and a pot! But do pay attention on some technical details, like :
  •  Firstly you will need to buy the zucchini WITH the flowers, this is because you will have to cut the flowers having a small piece of the zucchini on it, which will be used as a base to stand.
  • Some of the rest of the zucchini can be trimmed and added to the stuffing but some of them definitely will make a first layer covering the bottom of the pot. Later, these so sensitive beautifull Stuffed flowers will step on this layer.
  • personally, I have my measurement in stuffing vegetables. As a big fan of onions and herbs I keep the proportion rule of " 1 tablespoon/veg", meaning that every vegetable ( in this case zucchini flowers) will have inside a mix of 1 t.spoon of glazed rice + 1 t.spoon of mixed herbs and onions+ 1t.spoon of olive oil ( you will need extra olive oil though, to spread on the stuffed veggies ). Sorry guys but I'm taught to cook relating to experience, like most big family mom's do, and not like a pro using the exact measurements etc.
In order to make this recipe, I have googled many times and finally adjusted what I read to what I usually do, trust me it's delicious!
Let's leave the talking aside, and let's get started.
What you will need:
  • 16 zucchini flowers with attached approx.1cm/0.39 inch of zucchini ( or stem )
  • sliced zucchini in half to make the first layer in the pot 
  • 2 fresh onion springs finely chopped
  • 1 big onion finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup dill, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 lemon, juice
  • 16 t.spoons glazed rice
  • 16 t.spoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Extra Virgin olive oil 
  • 3 cups water
  • salt, pepper
What to do
1.Cut and wash the vegetables:
  •  zucchini cut along in half
  • flowers washed and take off carefully the pistil.
2. Prepare the mix with the rest of the ingredients.
Mix together in a bowl  the glazed rice  with the onion, spring onions, dill, parsley, lemon juice, Olive oil ( 16 t.spoons), salt, pepper, until everything is blended together.
3.Poor some olive oil to the bottom of the pot and place the cut along zucchini "building" a layer.
tip. The stuffed flowers must be tight placed inside the pot. Make sure you have the right size of the pot, and keep a few zucchini to fill the gap between the flowers, in order to help them stand still.
3.Start filling the flowers with 1 t.spoon of the mix, close gently leaving some air/ space inside as the rice is about to fill this space. Place the stuffed flowers in the pot.
4.Spread with some olive oil on the flowers, make sure they are all tight and secure not to fall on the side, add the 3 cups of water and place the pot with the lid on, on a medium fire. ( for instance, my kitchen goes from 1 to 9, i place them on 6 )
The food will be ready approximately after 15 minutes, when the rice is all cooked and it shouldn't t have any water.
my extras. I usually make a little more stuffing, and I add it in the pot or put it in the freezer for the next time, or even adding to plain glazed rice as an extra flavor.
I know you might have questions or you may want to send me your pics about this recipe, just email me on greekproductsabroad@gmail.com .
Good luck and Kali Orexi !
Follow the creative production on Greek Products Abroad

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου